December 01, 2007

my papa's papa...a grandpapa


"Life is a great sunrise.
I do not see why death should not be an even greater one."
Vladimir Nobokov


Name: Lim Bo Hui
Real name: Kok Kim Huat.
Status in my life: My papa's papa.
12th November 1922 - 25th November 2007

My grandfather has recently passed away, leaving the human life where floating is not an option unless you are in space or daydreaming. Hey lookie! My grandfather gets to float around now! He is probably floating around day and night snooping around his little grandchildren seeing if they are doing anything nottie or he will sitting in his old house watching opera movie by now. Chinese believes he is currently a wondering spirit waiting for the light that will bring him to my grandma.

**recap**

Dialing tone....
"Girl, pack your things and go to wai lun's house. Ask brother to bring everything he needs for school tomorrow."
"Why ma? We just ordered Mc Donald. Did anything happened in the hospital? Is ah kung in a critical condition now?"
"...."
"Ma?"
"Grandpa has just passed away...."
"...."
"Umm.. I don't have time to talk anymore. I have to prepare with the others for his funeral. Take care."
Hung up.....

**end of recap**


My grandfather has just passed away. Haha.. For real? I couldn't believe my own ear. This must be a joke. But he was saying that he is feeling alright and couldn't wait to hit back to his mahjong table with his friends the last time I visited. He loves to joke right? This must be one of the most witty one. To fool and make his grandchild worries, he is such a kidder. But he never jokes with you before. You don't even understand his language. Plus, he don't even remember you well. Oh yah... He is old now. He could barely recognize any one of his grandchildren. Oh my gosh... He is really dead... I don't think that information really sinks in deep within me because whenever we are doing the prayers where we need to kneel in front of his coffin, I always ended up staring blankly into space or start hitting those who talks during the prayer, not that I'm mentioning their names. (cough cough wai kit, kenny, keng gein and so on...) The sentence "Oh ah Kung is dead now," constantly repeat itself in my mind. I'm not terribly crestfallen, happy, devastated, or anything. I was just... stunt. I couldn't shed a single tears for my grandfather even though I'm not those type that won't cry easily, but a part of me really felt taken away.

He was the one who never fail to smile when we greet him.
He was the one who will just laugh it off when I speak to him in English even if I didn't manage to learn his language.
He was the one who will sit alone watching his favorite Chinese opera movies while the others just play around his house.
He was the one cheerfully playing mahjong and would make faces when you stop him. XD love the childish part of him
He was the one who said "Let him rob my wallet for his is too poor to think for alternatives." His kindness were undeniable.

How ironic it is to hear that every existence of him is taken away by an overdose of cough medicine? The world is hilarious. What a cold joke.

I truly miss him even if I wasn't close to him. I didn't shed a tear unlike the others who have cried even when he was lying down in the hospital bed. because for me, tears only roll down my cheeks when I don't understand something or when people don't understands me. OK Im a brat. But for my grandfather, I understand that he passed away naturally. He was happy to leave. It was his time and hell, we just can't control the time. I just wish I could have shed at least a single tear for him. He was a good man, a great father who worked hard for his 11 children, a noble grandfather I wish I could have known better before. Goodbye and Goodnight.

No comments: